Monday, August 30, 2010

Staff Pick: Christie

The River Why

By David James Duncan

When I was still just a customer at Manchester By the Book, Mark recommended this book to me. It honestly seemed sort of boring to me because it looked like it was just about fishing, and I don't really care either way for fishing, but I figured I might as well try it out and see what the fuss is about. I was floored by David James Duncan's beautiful (and humorous) storytelling and The River Why has since become one of my all-time favorite books. I guess I shouldn't have doubted Mark. Don't tell him I said that.

The River Why is the story of Gus, the fishing genius son of two very different fishers. When Gus graduates high school, he decides to rent a cabin on the edge of a river and create an Ideal Schedule, a schedule that allows the most possible time for fishing. Eventually, Gus's life of just fish starts to drive him a little wacko. After an unusual experience, Gus opens his life to new friends, philosophy, and even love.

2 comments:

  1. I love your reviews! For next week, could you post a half a dozen reviews of the great Russian novels as well as Atlas Shrugged and the unabridged Moby Dick? Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The English or American version of Moby Dick? Quite the different tale between the two.

    ReplyDelete